29 February 2012

Book Club 1 - February 2012

"Gary D. Schmidt offers an unforgettable antihero in THE WEDNESDAY WARS in the most unexpected places and musters up the courage to embrace his destiny, in spite of himself."

For me, this was one of those books that I didn't love, but I didn't hate.  I loved how the writing of Shakespeare was used throughout and having the narrator demonstrate how it applied to his life and seeing the parallels.  I think that made Shakespeare come a little more alive for me.  I enjoyed how it was a "real life" family.  While there was some glossing over their issues, I think from the narrator's perspective (he's just a boy) this is how things really happened.  No one ever has all of the facts, let alone one of the kids.  There was part of me that felt like it just ended.  When I stopped to think about it, though, it was probably just about the best place to come up with the appropriate happy ending.  To me, even though I get frustrated with it, a book that makes you think and wonder what  happens next, even when there isn't a sequel and I don't think there's room for a sequel here, is a good book.  I found myself wanting a few more details, but this would be the end of the school year and a good place for it to end.

No comments: