This was sort of our entrance - things were under construction so I think this would have been the entrance, but construction makes everything a little bit different.Inside is museum after museum with some of the most amazing artwork. If I remember correctly, Vatican City was once a bunch of different palaces for the pope that they connected with the corridors so they had a place to display all of artwork that has been collected over the years - which is A LOT!
Right after we passed through all of the security, this piece was there. I think it was one of my favorite and we had just started. I think it's absolutely beautiful.
Up close, sort of to St. Peter's Basilica. It's just so amazing and beautiful.
It's amazing what people are able to create - especially when you think about the timeline. Not sure when this one was made. Granted, I have pretty much no artistic ability so I definitely am impressed with just about anything I see.
Even when they choose to do an old man, it still turns out so cool. And I love the fact that it isn't the stature of a perfectly formed individual. It's a real-life aging man.
I know it isn't what it is, but Jen pointed it out to me - doesn't it look like it could be the world's first chocolate fountain?
Our guide told us the story of the "Fig Leaf Project." Apparently one of the former popes or cardinals became offended by all of the nudity and decided it was not appropriate. So it was ordered it had to be fixed. In order to do that body parts actually had to be broken off, and then covered with the fig leafs to make this guy feel better. Considering how many naked bodies we were seeing, that would have been quite an undertaking.
As you walked past this tapestry of Christ, it looked like Christ was following you. It seemed like his eyes, even his foot moved.
You can kind of see it in these two pictures, but obviously it's much more prominent in real life.
I have no idea what this guy's deal was - or even who he was. It really stood out - pretty much for the creepy factor.
At this point in time, cameras had to be put away and we went into the Sistine Chapel - no photos allowed and they'd really prefer if you didn't talk.
However, while we were in there we were told about the selection of the new pope. I had heard part of that before, but what I didn't understand was how they notified the people. I guess they put a stove in the corner with the pipe going out one of the windows. Each evening when they haven't decided on a pope they throw the ballots in the stove and the fire burns black, so people know. Then when they make the decision, the ballots are once again thrown into the stove along with some chemical that makes the smoke burn white - and you know the pope has been selected. I remember hearing about the process when Pope John Paul II passed away, but I didn't remember hearing about the smoke out the window.
At this point in time, a couple members or our little group got to have a little bit of an adventure. We had a cute lady who had MS with us. She would walk as much as she could, but she was in her wheelchair today. As we were leaving the Sistine Chapel, someone came up to them to let them know they would need to go a different direction. That in and of itself is not bad. There is no way the wheelchair would have made it down the stairs, over the cobblestones, etc. and I am not sure how easy it would have been for her to walk our path. However, no one went with them to show them how to meet back up with us. So they just kind of wandered the halls of Vatican City. Her parents were with us and were freaking out - rightfully so. I think it was almost a fluke that everyone found each other again. Her husband joked they went looking for the Pope. She stated she was sad she missed St. Peter's Basilica, but was glad to make it back to the group. Her Mom made the comment she had missed it to; which was right - she was there, but was so stressed about her daughter and son-in-law missing she really didn't see much.
Obviously, I wasn't able to get a picture this clear. It was so amazing and so beautiful. No matter what religion, what your beliefs, I can't believe you can't find some kind of appreciation and beauty.
Bronze doors entering the Basilica. I couldn't really get a close up so you could see the details.
This gate is only opened once every 25 years during the Jubilee. I will not say I understand what that is because I don't. I am not a big fan of the crosses, but loved the story of this one and the little black box underneath. Many years ago - I don't remember the exact year - Pope John Paul II was shot. Because the bullet hit his cross, it was diverted down his leg, I believe, instead of his heart. He put the cross in this box.
Le Pieta by Michelangelo. Mary holding Christ after his crucifixion. The look on her face is absolutely exquisite.
This little baby angel is actually bigger than I am. It was pretty cute. It is believed this is the spot Peter was crucified (upside down because he didn't want to be crucified in the same way as Christ because he wasn't worthy) and it's also where he was buried.
The bronze statue of St. Peter. People rub his feet as they walk by, so the division between his toes is practically rubbed away. It's supposed to bring luck.
This is where Peter is said to have been buried. It's very difficult to get a good shot of that because there's always a crowd there - and it just didn't feel right to be pushing my way through to get a picture.
Looking up into the dome. All I can say is - Incredible.
This is supposed to be St. Peter's throne.
They used to bury the Popes in the Cathedral. In fact, a few of them are still on display. You can kind of see him in the glass. They do put a death mask on them so the natural processes are not necessarily on display. But you can see the blackening of the skin in the hands.
The Papal guards. How'd you like to run around in those uniforms - although it must be a huge honor to be selected for that duty. They are actually Swiss guards, very carefully selected.
They were setting up for the Pope's speech on Wednesday - we were there on a Monday, but it's a lot of chairs to set up!
The second row of windows is where the Pope lives. I believe it's Thursdays that we were told he might come to the second window from the right and wave to the crowd. We wondered what his apartment looks like. Is everything current and up to date or does he live with out some of our "conveniences?" Does the Pope have a television? A computer with the internet? Curious minds want to know.
We weren't there on the right day to meet him, but it was cool think we were there where he lived - and he might have been at home.
One of the oldest bridges in Rome - I am imagining 600 AD and it's still in use.
L'Arco di Constantino - right next to the Colosseum. All I can say is the pictures do not do anything in this area justice. They are HUGE!!! I was glad to hear I wasn't the only one who didn't fully comprehend the size from what I had seen before I went there.
A little bit better shot.
It just doesn't do the size justice to show the picture.
Mom and Dad pose for a picture.
Jen, Will, and me.
All of the wholes in the walls having nothing to do with war, but looting. Apparently there was quite the gold/precious metals collections that various parties have taken off with over the years.
Going down the corridors.
Rooms and mazes under the "stage" - it was all covered and the fights would take place on top of that. Originally they used it for staged naval battles, but that wasn't that exciting and didn't keep the people happy. (Just have to say, chivalry was definitely not alive at this point in time. There were seats but they were only for men - women had to stand.)
It's just absolutely amazing, especially when you consider when this was built and used. (Started in 72AD and finished in 80 AD - only 8 years!)
We decided to go upstairs to the second level. The stairs were all sloped downward which was a little bit scary. You get to really see all of the chambers and what not.
Daddy/daughter - okay, I don't know when the last time was I actually called him that, but you get the idea.
Donald did actually pose with us for a second - just not the second that our "photographer" took the picture with my camera apparently.
View from the Colisseum. No matter where you looked, you were given the most incredible views.
Just in case you were curious of where everything in the Forum was - I realize it's probably next to impossible to read, but it gives you an idea.
And then we were on our way there.
The Palatine Hill.
Mom and Beth - sisters.
It's just absolutely incredible.
My favorite little yellow flowers - and the Romans probably just think they are weeds.
They'd put little stores in these areas - kind of like a flea market, I guess.
How'd you like to have to walk stairs like these every day? I'm already a klutz on the flat ones I have!
Arch of Septimius Severus. Not sure who he was, but he gets his own arch - pretty cool.
Inside the arch.
Altar of the Nations in the background. It reminded us of the Brandenburg Gate with the chariots on top.
Looking out at more of the Imperial Fora. You would walk along and see all of the ruins completely surrounded by the modern buildings.
I think this picture turned out quite cute.
No comments:
Post a Comment