17 December 2011

October

And the highlight would be, I QUIT BUILD A BEAR!!!  So, financially I am not so sure it was my very best move, but emotionally and mentally, definitely the best thing I could have done for myself.  There has been so much drama there and it was no longer a fun job.  They changed management, and that was all sorts of interesting.

I quit Build A Bear just in time for General Conference, which it was also very nice to be able to just know I had the time off (and that I didn't have to worry about doing inventory).  So I relaxed and enjoyed the messages from our leaders.  As usual, I went up to Brandon's and Aimee's for our girls' night.  This time, Aimee and I actually needed to work on a special gift for Dad, that turned out absolutely incredible, if I do say so myself.  Getting to play a little bit with Logan and Brooklyn obviously added to the greatness of the time spent there.

So my friend, Mandy, and I made a goal to go to all of the temples in Utah within a year.  This meant we needed to do a trip.  It was so good to get out of town and just relax.  We didn't really do much of anything - spent lots of time relaxing.  We first went to St. George.  Shauntell was fabulous and gave us family names to do during our temple trips. 
Isn't it beautiful?  It still amazes me that this was made out of red rock.
Mandy and I - we took turns with some random people in being in charge of the picture taking.
This one turned out a little bit better.

Since we were already out of the valley, we decided to keep going and went to the Monticello temple.  We stayed in Blanding, which is actually where Mandy is from.  It was a little bit weird to actually walk over to the neighboring hotel for breakfast, but we were told it was alright to do this.  We stopped to visit her father's grave before heading out of town.  (We actually took our pictures the day before because it was too dark after our session.)  This was my first time attending a smaller temple.  It was beautiful.

Thinking people may actually be relieved I am so far behind so there aren't so many game pictures, but I can't go without summing up the season.  There were definitely moments of brilliance (Sabo getting a goal with a heel tap behind his back around one of the defenders), stupidity (Beckerman headbutting a player; Kudos for quickly apologizing to fan, team, and player and taking the disciplinary action like a man), and anguish (losing to LA in the Western Conference championships).  So close and yet so far.  And truthfully, I would have been better if it had been just about anyone else other than Beckham and the Galaxy who kicked us out (For the record, like Beckham as a family man, but just haven't been impressed with him on the field).  I actually felt a little bit bad because we took out Seattle and their goalie was retiring and I really do like Kasey Keller.  So, now it's the season for trades and team changes and I have been enjoying myself by watching the changes take place.  I have done good and not started the countdown till St. Patrick's Day which happens to be the first home game.

Book Club time.  For one of them, the decision was made that everyone got to choose biography.  It was pretty fun to see who people chose.  Truthfully, I couldn't decide which one to go with, so there were several read.  The other was The Other Boleyn Girl.  It was one of the books made into a movie that I wanted to see, but after reading the book I can take it off my to see list.

Why Me? by


In the blink of an eye, Mom ran up behind me and pushed me into the fence. Instinctively, I reached out my arms to stop my fall and ended up grabbing the live fence. My hands clamped around the thin wires, and my body collapsed to the ground as the electricity coursed through it. I opened my eyes and saw my mother standing over me with the strangest smile on her face. “Oh, my God, I’m going to die!” I thought in panic.
Imagine never being able to close your eyes and remember the feel of your mother’s arms wrapped around you. Now imagine closing your eyes and remembering your mother’s tears splashing down on your face as she is on top of you, crying as she is trying to choke you to death. My mother left me these memories and many more during my traumatic childhood. After many years of struggling with trying to understand “Why Me?” I took back control of my life and started saying, “It was me, now what am I going to do?” The answer is my book, “Why Me?”. It is my childhood journey through the terrors of physical and mental abuse from first grade until the day I moved out. It is my way of letting the world know what was really going on behind closed doors.

The Other Boleyn Girl by



Two sisters competing for the greatest prize: the love of a king

A rich and compelling tale of love, sex, ambition, and intrigue, The Other Boleyn Girl introduces a woman of extraordinary determination and desire who lived at the heart of the most exciting and glamorous court in Europe and survived by following her own heart

Agathe von Trapp: Memories Before and After The Sound of Music by



In this compelling autobiography, Agathe von Trapp shares the true story behind the film legend, The Sound of Music. As the oldest van Trapp daughter, Agathe's impeccable recall of her child hood brings fresh life to the events that forged enduring bonds within her devoted family. Her memories of her idyllic Austrian home transport readers back to the time before the von Trapps came to America and reveal a close knit group of siblings who adored their gentle father and mourned the tragic loss of their mother. Agathe tells about the arrival of her second mother, Maria, into the family and gives updates on all of her brothers and sisters. Agathe's own sketches and special photos illustrate this charming account. Whether or not you are familiar with The Sound of Music, this amazing memoir is sure to capture your imagination and inspire you to read Agathe's enchanting story again.

Before My Heart Stops: A Memoir by



"I was born with half a heart. God made up the difference."

After living for more than three decades with congenital heart disease, popular musician Paul Cardall has undergone twenty-eight operations and seven open-heart surgeries. But the one surgery he needed most - his last chance at seeing his three-year-old daughter, Eden, grow up - was a heart transplant. This is the remarkable true story of one man's struggle to survive long enough to get a second chance at life.

Along the way, Paul wrote down his thoughts, feelings, and observations in an online blog called Living for Eden. This book reflects those weekly blog entries - insights and wisdom beyond his years. After reading his story, yu may come away asking yourself, "Who do I need to love ... before my heart stops?

No comments: