10 May 2009

Mother's Day Celebration!

Mother's Day was wonderful and just a little bit chaotic. We did the annual Primary children singing in sacrament meeting and since I've been subbing for the pianist I got to play for them (which still completely freaks me out). Then, our music chairperson decided to have a double trio sing and invited me to participate in that. The young men handed out the Mather's day gift for all women over the age of 18. I support them continuing this gift - a king size chocolate bar. As soon as church was over I got in the car to drive up to Mom and Dad's.

Our Mother's day celebration this year included Mom and Dad, Brian, Hollie, and Briley, and Russ. We did our dinner and were entertained by Miss Briley as well as watching Russ and Brian in their highly competitive game of the "safe" version of lawn darts - with Briley attempting to help out in between.

Needless to say, I have been extremely blessed by my Mother. She is my best friend, although I will be the first to admit it wasn't always that way. She supports all of us and if any of us ever needed anything she is right there for us. She's a wonderful example and I am so glad to call her Mom. Briley enjoying the pig balloon. It felt a little weird to the touch, but she's happy.
Daddy and daughter. Who knows what secrets she's sharing at this point.
Briley took over the camera for a few shots of Grandma.
The players. Brian and Russ would throw and Briley would retrieve. She did pretty good about staying out of the way of the throws.
Hollie watching the game.
Taking a break from "helping."
Switching to the next hoop.
Studying the ants. She was told she couldn't leave the grass.
Taking care of the ants.
There were ant corpses flying everywhere. It was a little bit disturbing how much got into it.
After the game, we took Briley down to the playground. Hollie stayed home to rest. Actually, before heading to the playground, Russ and Brian gave Dad a blessing since he was preparing for his hip surgery on Tuesday. No, I don't know exactly what the condition was that was being repaired except it's genetic and I think it had to do with wearing away of the bone, but I could completely be making that up.
In the tunnel going to the slide. She was pretty sure I needed to do the same thing, but I was still in my Sunday dress so that really wasn't going to work too well.
Swing time.
A little more Daddy daughter time.
Grandma enjoying her turn.
I think this is just about one of my favorite pictures. Leave it to the two-year-old to do the pushing. She was determined to be in charge of making sure Grandma went high.
Bringing Daddy to go to the slide. The funniest part of the whole afternoon was when she decided she needed to start climbing up the slide, which she's not really great at. Grandpa decided to go to the top of the slide (good idea, right, send the man who's getting ready to have hip surgery). He leaned into the tube slide to try to get her hands. After several attempts she sat at the bottom of the slide, looked at Grandma and said, "Just a second." She then went over to her dad and lamented, "Daddy, Papa's just not getting it." The best is she put both her hands up in exasperation. While the rest of us were trying not to laugh completely out loud, Brian continued the very serious pow-wow with his advice to keep trying and climb really high. After those words of wisdom she was ready to try again. Yes, they did finally reach each other, but by then she just wanted to touch and didn't really want to be pulled all the way up.
Buckling in for the ride home.
It really was a fun day. It's always nice to go and spend some time with the family.

No comments: