27 April 2011

CONCACAF Champions Game

And it all came down to this. We were the first MLS team to make it to the finals in the CONCACAF series since they revamped the format (and there are several who admit this is the much harder format then previously). In this go around, each team have to play a home and away game, which means a lot of travel and fairness in the home field advantage. Unfortunately, it didn't pan out for us. We came into the final in a really good position that we weren't able to capitalize on. Yes, I do think a lot of that had to do with the referring, but there were other circumstances brought into play as well. I was a poor sport and left immediately after the game so I didn't see trophies awarded, but in all fairness, I was also traveling back to Provo and it was snowing.Beckerman tries to comfort Sabo. Beckerman wasn't able to play because of yellow card accumulation - which totally sucked. But he was as close as he was allowed to be and I think it was actually harder for him to watch the loss from the sidelines than to play in it.
Leaving the field. Even while heads were down, I do think they should have held their head high for making it as far as they did.
Good game.
Espindola getting into the game.
And ruing a missed opportunity.
Can you guess who was a target?
Johnson tries to get the ball.
Espindola has been having a good year.
One of our amazing defenders, Borchers.
Mad scramble for the ball. (Olave is the reigning MLS Defender of the Year.)
Kreis coaching from the sidelines.
You can just see the dejection in their faces. It was so hard to see. This was actually the first time I had ever seen them lose - I really didn't like it.
They rightfully celebrate.
Rimando's reaction.
Sabo getting a call against him - and wondering why. We wonder that a lot.
That could be painful.
Morales is in on the action.
Olave fights for the ball.
And Grabavoy is in there as well.
This cannot turn out well.
Williams' turn.

No comments: