09 June 2010

Real vs. LA Galaxy

Rematch, grudge match, whatever you want to call it. We played the LA Galaxy tonight and had a little bit of excitement in addition to the game. Galaxy was going for their thirteenth unbeaten game which would be a record, but we didn't let it happen. It was a 1-0 victory that they were extremely mad about. They really felt the goal should have been called back for being offsides. My thoughts on that, since our team has had a few goals this season called back for offsides, is if any team is going to have an offsides call it would be us so if the refs didn't call it, it wasn't there. It was a very sweet game and was absolutely wonderful. Yes, both teams were missing major players for World Cup and injuries, but that hasn't stopped the Galaxy from winning so there is no reason why it should have effected them today. The game started off and was delayed for about 37 minutes in the 13th minute because we had a very impressive lightning show going on. It was kind of strange to watch the teams all of a sudden walking off the field. I loved it! It was a great shot on goal, but no goal.
The close up looks like it could have potentially been very painful for Ricketts.
Celebrating the goal - I read afterward, didn't notice it during the game, that Morales actually got a yellow card for his celebration - ripping of his shirt and swinging it around his head, but it was well worth it.
There were some rough plays. Okay, I admit sometimes that makes the game a little bit more entertaining. In fact, at the end of the game, right after Nick Rimando made another amazing save, it looked like there was going to be an all out fight in the goal box, from where I sat it totally looked like it was there players. And it's not too hard of a stretch to believe that since during a previous corner kick for us the ref had to stop play to talk to LA about some of their shenanigans.
Morales had people after him through out the whole game. It looked like they were out for his blood a lot of the time.
Johnson, as usual, was all over the place fighting constantly. He and Ned Grabavoy were stars of the game for me. They were great fun to watch. (Beckerman was still out, but Williams was back and Wingert was able to come in as well.)
This looked like it was happening in slow motion during the game. It was a pure push in the goal box, but no call. We were all a little bit ticked about that.
Rimando making yet another fabulous save.
He was not happy about the goal. When they gave the final whistle, he went right over to the line ref he thought should have made the offsides call. (Did I mention he's only had four goals scored on him this season - and two of them have been done by RSL? He is huge!)

To start the game off, David Cook actually sang the National Anthem for us.
(Ignore the date on the picture. I have no idea what happened to my date snap, but I am pretty sure it's not 18/02/2080.)
A little pregame stretching while people got back to their seats.
One of the coolest things to me has been the involvement of the military. They had members of a group that is getting ready to deploy and their families doing the big flag during the National Anthem. I absolutely love that part of things. (Okay there is not much about the games that I don't like/love.)
I thought this shot turned out pretty cool. There seemed to be a lot of back and forth between the goalies. Ricketts pretty much cleared the field with his kicks.
They had the cutest little teams playing at half-time. I am sure they were about three and four. (It did get pretty dark, what with the storm and the delay and all of that fun stuff.)
Then back in action.
And the all important final score! It extends our unbeaten streak to seven (tied DC) - it's a pretty great streak.
After the game, we got a concert from David Cook.
It wasn't a very long concert because there are noise ordinances and it was after that time before we even started. We didn't bother moving so really we just watched from the screen. If I were younger, I am sure I would have gone down on the field to scream and join the crowd, but as is I enjoyed myself just fine from where I was. Plus, I got to watch little Jonah (the Make-A-Wish child from our home opener) play during the concert. It was great fun. Lots of screaming - and I am paying my price for it now. About halfway through the game, I said I was going to lose my voice. I've said that before, but it's never happened. This time I was right. I figure it's a combination of the pollens the wind stirred up as well as the screaming so it should only last a day or two. I really hope that I am correct in this since the choir is singing this week and I am singing a solo Father's day - and there's an exhibition game next Saturday which I am sure will include more screaming. It was all worth it.

No comments: