And what a way to begin! Real had already played four games, I think, but three were involved with the CONCACAF and the official season opener was a road game. So, this was our home season opener. We played against LA Galaxy and beat them quite soundly - 4-1. Of course, there were all sorts of excuses from LA - mainly that they were down players. They were missing Landon Donovan because he was with the National Team and they were missing players because of injury, including their starting goalie (but it was this same back up goalie that forced us into the kick off during the championship game). Their side never mentioned that we were missing three players to their National Teams (Will Johnson - Canada; Alvaro Saborio - Costa Rica; Arturo Alvarez - El Salvador) plus our goalie and one of our main defenders just got clearance to play pretty much that morning because of their injuries and had missed a lot of practice, but that's all beside the point.
Beckham did actually show up to play - I was not impressed. If he wasn't directly involved in the play, he would just walk across the field. He fought with the refs on just about every call, even when it was in their favor. He did actually get a yellow card for his dissent. For everything I have heard about him and his play, I definitely didn't see anything that impressed me this go around. I will admit, I was one of the people in the stands booing him when he left the field. I hope LA feels like they got their money's worth with him, because I know I wouldn't.
Paulo, Jr. getting some field time.
The height that Grabavoy gets still amazes me.
Rimando punching the ball out, but even if he didn't get it, Olave was there for him.
Beckerman fighting for the ball. I am not sure who is on the ground.
More beautiful defense.
I think Beckerman won this ball.
Espindola making some play actions.
Saunders, I think that was his name, did have some good saves.
Again, or still, amazed at the height involved in the plays.
Borchers showing why he was up for defender of the year (Olave won it this year).
Morales, he's pretty consistent with his play.
Grabavoy making a play for it.
Keeping possession.
That would be an important part of the game.
Getting his play on - I am so glad we figured out how to keep him in Salt Lake.
They make a pretty good pair.
I will freely admit, I never had this much control on the ball.
Gil got to make his MLS debut. This kid is only 18 and is already making twice what I make working two jobs.Needless to say, after this week I had no voice left. But it was completely worth it to me.
No comments:
Post a Comment