"A ten-year-old orphan
comes to live in a lonely house on the Yorkshire moors where she
discovers an invalid cousin and the mysteries of a locked garden.
"Burnett's
classic story of a disagreeable and self-centered little girl and her
equally disagreeable invalid cousin is as real and wise and enthralling
now as it was when it was first written over 75 years ago. The strength
of her characterizations pulls readers into the story, and the depth
inherent in the seemingly simple plot continues to make this sometimes
forgotten story as vital to the maturation of young readers as Tom
Sawyer and Little Women. Hague's illustrations enhance the story
beautifully, capturing as they do, both the old-fashioned and timeless
quality of the tale. The charm, clarity, and muted tones of Hague's
paintings add dimension to each part of the tale. A reissue of an old
classic to be treasured by a new generation of children (and their
parents)!"
It's
about time I buckled down and read a classic. I was not sure I was
going to like this one when I started because, to be perfectly honest,
of how bratty these kids were and wondering where their parents where,
even though that was laid out. I just didn't want the kids to be that
controlling of everyone around them. I was happy when they found each
other and started to help each other become more human and likeable. I
do hope they have their happily ever after now that they can actually be
nice to other people.

No comments:
Post a Comment