14 June 2008

Happy Fathers' Day!

I have to take a minute (even though I am technically a day early) to thank and recognize some of the amazing dads in my life. Starting with my own (ain't I a cute little tyke). Dad's been there for me all the time. I grew up being a bit of a daddy's girl. He came to Girl Scout activities with me. He (and Mom, but it isn't her day right now) went to many, many, many dance recitals, band concerts, soccer games, and other various activities - and that was just for me and doesn't include the other siblings. Even during my low self-esteem points, if I was completely honest with myself, I always knew he loved me and would do whatever it took to make sure I knew that. Like all children (I hope), I didn't and probably still don't fully appreciate all of the opportunities he provided for me. But, I always did know and do know there was a roof over my head and all of my needs were going to be met. It was such a great blessing to not have to worry about that growing up. He has always been a great support to my mom, my siblings, and me. We've known he loves us and that he loves the lord. He's always been a worthy priesthood holder and blessed us in that role as well. What more could a girl ask for? And now he is continuing his example and influence with his grandchildren. Considering the rules are always a little bit lax for the grandkids than they were for the kids, you can imagine how awesome he is in this role that he's been enjoying for nine years.


Some of the other wonderful dads in my life. I have to include my brothers in the men who are wonderful dads (So Judd isn't officially a brother, but a cousin-in-aw, but we'll count him here anyway.) It's been so fun to be an observer as each brother has taken on this new role. I knew there isn't anything they wouldn't do for their kids. I think in some ways it has surprised a little bit to realize how much they enjoy their roles. They have also followed dad's example in holding their priesthood and honoring it.

And, of course, I have to count grandpa Clark in the amazing dads category. His influence continues and we have all been blessed by him, literally as he's given at least all of us Ottley siblings our patriarchal blessings. I was able to go to him for a priesthood blessing prior to a surgery and it was wonderful to now he was willing and able to do that for me.

Even though he has passed away, I have to include Grandpa Ottley in the list of amazing fathers. He raised my dad, who apparently gave him a few challenges growing up. At his funeral, everyone talked about a faithful, kind man, which is how I like to remember him.












No comments: