12 December 2009

I am Not Impressed

I have to say - I've not been impressed with the post office for awhile now. When I had my surgery in October, I did the smart thing and had my mail held. Simple enough. I'd done it several times before without issues. So two days after my mail was supposed to start up again, I still had nothing. So I called the post office. I spoke to someone, but he apparently had not power to do anything but go look on a shelf and say "Yep, your mail is still here." He needed to talk to his supervisor, but would make sure I got my mail. Next day, still nothing. So I called again. I guess I talked to a supervisor this time who checked, saw the mailman was out delivering as we spoke, but my mail was still sitting on the shelf. He would do whatever he could to make sure I got my mail the next day, but no apology or explanation on why I didn't get it delivered when it was supposed to be.

Then this week happened. I am a fan of internet shopping and love that it can be delivered directly to my doorstep. First, I ordered one thing for Christmas and made sure I would be home when it was going to be delivered because I was sure it would have to be signed for. It was expensive and I wanted to make sure that there were no issues there. Come day of delivery, I get a ring on the doorbell, run downstairs, and he's just left it in between my doors. SO GLAD I WAS HOME!!! I had ordered something else for Christmas, that could not be found in stores, and was so excited about it. I had been receiving all of my other packages, granted I had most of them delivered to my office. But this one, I just didn't think about it. It had been awhile since it was ordered, so I checked online tracking. Lo and behold, there had been a delivery attempt on 2 December and I didn't get my little piece of paper notice. Not in my mailbox or attached to my door. So I called the post office, ticked off. Fortunately, I had checked before the 15 days was up when they send it back. They set a redelivery and gave me my confirmation order. I was specific in asking they put it in my back door. But, just in case, I worked from home Thursday afternoon. Sure enough, the mailman brought a package to my door - not the one I had called about. I checked online again, no sign that it had even left the post office. So I called again and did a formal complaint. I can't go pick it up from the post office (which would defeat the purpose of ordering and having it sent to me) because I don't have my notice with the lovely tracking number for them to easily find it, how convenient. I get a new number for my complaint and they will be contacting me within 24 hours via phone. Granted, I enjoy lazy Fridays, but today I didn't want to leave in case they happened to come. No phone call and eventually I did need to leave my home. I came home tonight, nothing on my back porch (remember that was the request). But, I still checked my front door. Fortunately, there was the package. So glad that's resolved.

I understand the post office is struggling, but wouldn't that be all the more reason to give good customer service when you are being used. For general mail - even though it is less - this should be a monopoly, but apparently they can still do a shoddy job. I feel better now that I've had my rant and can move on.

No comments: