22 December 2009

The Reason for the Season

In all of the craziness that is my job, it's really easy to get lost and not quite remembering what this season is all about. This year has felt like it's even worse since right before the holidays I've got two new (technically threes since one is a sibling group) cases and they are some of the worst abuse cases I've worked on. When the mom on one case showed up to court in her Army Reserves dress blues, I wanted to tell her to go change. I think that's an insult to the uniform.

So, when I went to job number two and got to be a part of this experience, I just had to share it. About a half an hour before closing, a couple of women came in with a list, obviously doing some frantic last minute shopping. I asked if I could help. First they needed something sparkly - easy enough to point out our only bear with sparkles at this point. Next the little eight year old really likes to read - out came the Read Teddy. I knew they were doing a sub for Santa type deal and they had just received the list. Then I got the whole story: A family up in Wyoming has seven kids and they just lost their dad about a week ago. Apparently Dad was a veterinarian and while he was doing a surgery, something slipped and it cut his artery in his leg and he bled to death. Completely random and totally unexpected. This woman found out through a guy who works with her husband. She's never met them. They got their shopping list from their letters to Santa. Needless to say, we were all at the stuffer trying not to cry. It was such a great thing and I am so glad I was able to play even this littlest part in it.

No comments: