31 January 2010

Is it too much to ask...

for a break?! After my lovely little rant last week, I was very much hoping things would be just a little bit better - and then Monday came. My day started off finding out no one knew where one of my kids was and I only found out after the school called to tell me she wasn't where she was supposed to be when the van went to pick her up - and she's ten. Long story, without many details that I shouldn't be posting, she'd been moved to another place, but no one (and there should have been a call from the placement as well as the on call worker) cared to inform me. Needless to say, I had some serious complaining to do about that and had to get some higher ups involved in resolving that one. Then I had to supervise my little broken baby and her sister with her mother. Those visits are not horrible, although the interaction is quite weird, but then they start having night terrors and it's absolutely awful. Their foster parents are absolutely heroes for helping them through all of this.

Tuesday, I discovered that I am just curious and too thorough in my job. This came about when I requested an old archived file and started what felt like World War III, emotionally. There was the accusation that I would totally trash the file and that's why I couldn't have it. It cost too much in paper and ink to copy it, but I could spend two days to review the file - and forget any other work I should be doing. But the tech and her supervisor had reviewed the file and did feel there was a lot that was pertinent to my case in it, but I couldn't have it. I don't know why they got to decide what was pertinent and what wasn't or why I should not have it. So we came to a compromise. I would drive out (not anywhere in my way of travel) and pick it up, sign my life away to say it would come back in good condition and in the same order I found it in, and then return it by Monday. So, with that in mind, I decided to go to an out of county home visit with a co-worker, so I could have a witness to the condition of the file when I picked it up. I got there and discovered the supervisor had copied the file and stuck it in the mail, without any tracking information. Fortunately, the mail had not been picked up. I was screaming in the parking lot.

Wednesday I got to inform a Grandma she was not going to have visits with her grandchildren until further notice. Now realistically, she only ever wants to see one of them, but after her granddaughter admitted to me that she had been told to keep something a secret from us, none of us felt good about letting that continue.

By Thursday I was just hoping for a no drama day - I got minimal drama, which is a start. And Friday, I spent the day in my pajamas and let the world completely pass me by!

This week shows no sign of slowing down. I have a mediation, two court reviews, one review at the State Hospital and part one of a two day trial. Somewhere within the next two weeks I need to find a time to get my skin testing done - I have to know for sure about the whole peanut issue! This is so not the usual stress leading up to the vacation, but it is definitely helping want the vacation even more, like I needed any help with that (and we did get all of the official travel information this week to make it more real)! And now, I am thinking I don't really want to write about work any more, at least not for a little while. I need to focus on the positive and find the things to laugh about and celebrate.

No comments: