04 April 2012

Vs. Montreal Impact

This is definitely not going to go down as any kind of game to emulate.  From the poor play on the field, to the poor officiating, to the way to physical play.  All I can say is a win is a win, but I hope to never see our guys play again like this.  While walking home, Marcia and I wondered if this were part of the Coach's strategy to save up some power for our rivalry game against Colorado this weekend.  After reading the articles and comments during the press conference after the game, this was not the case and I was glad to hear our guys acknowledge this was not the level they should be playing.  This was always going to be an interesting game because this is Montreal's first year in the MLS so there is no history to base their play off and they haven't won a game this season yet so there is definitely going to be some hunger there.  Anyway, there was some serious work to be done in a very short time for us to play well Saturday, although in terms of our team play any little bit will be an improvement.  
 
 The star of our game - Paulo Jr.  He scored our penalty kick and played an amazing game.  He was definitely the high point of the game.
 After the game - I think.  It was fun to see more of Jonny Steele playing.
 Will Johnson - not getting any kind of call.  That was the theme of the night.
 A little one on one with Collen Warner.  He was our loss to the expansion side and did play a good game.
 The fancy show for the penalty kick.  There was a "given" that Beckerman would take the shot, but Paulo wanted it.  This is the true team spirit.  He got to open up his account for the year.  I just think he is a cute player.  It's just the way he comes through on the field.
 A little bit of a celebration - well deserved.
 Olave getting into the play.  The defense was a huge bright spot of the evening.  There was a 1 v 1 play with Olave and a Montreal player right by our sideline that was incredible to watch.  Any minute I expected to see their player hop on his back.
 Rimando was incredible tonight, although in a good game he shouldn't have to be.  He says his best games are the ones where he never has to touch the ball.  I think that must be true for any goalie.
 
 This could have been a great goal.  I think the freeze frame on Espindola is fabulous.
 Pretty sure he had some choice words for some of his teammates during the games.  It's probably a good thing we couldn't hear everything that he was saying.
 Olave says no.  That's all you need to know.
 
 Getting after the home town player - I think that's Justin Braun.
 Tanaka's first game.  I think he had some amazing plays, but I wasn't always impressed with him.  Granted, I also really like Wingert whose place he took on the field.
 Celebrate good times!
 
 
 
 Gil still amazes me.  He's only eighteen, but he's maturing and improving every game.
 I'm thinking their dance after is a tradition for these two when both involved in the play.  I remember them doing it last year and that it was fun then too.
 Davy Arnaud, their captain, didn't like the handball call the led to the penalty kick.
 The Captains go up against each other.
 
 
 
 Love the fact that Morales is back on the field, unfortunately, he won't be again for a coupe of weeks.  He strained his hamstring and had to leave the field.  It's never good to see your players sitting on the field.  It's even more annoying when nobody stops the play to see how badly they are injured.  I feel that way about either side.
 The only yellow card of the game.  It amazes me that there weren't more of them.  I have no idea how that happened.
 For a short guy (and yet he is taller than me), he has incredible reach.
 Celebrating the win.  Considering how stressful the last few minutes were as a fan, I have to imagine it was a relief for them to have it done and over with.

The other bad news from the game was that Ned Grabavoy dislocated one of his ribs.  He looked like he was in some serious pain laying on the field after the game.  I figured it was a recent injury because there was a lot of crowding in the last few minutes, but he reported he played 15 to 20 minutes with what he thought was a broken rib.  Here's to a swift recovery to both of our injuries and a better game on Saturday.

No comments: