Curtis (the aforementioned guide/volunteer) recommended a few places for us to explore while in Richmond. We didn't take him up on all of the, but I have a weird like for wandering in cemeteries, although I'm not going to go wandering at night. (I have a very low scare threshold.) So we took him up on the Hollywood
Cemetery. There are two presidents, as well as the South's president, and General Pickett from the battle of Gettysburg are buried there.

We had to take a picture of this to explain the next picture.

This was the most bizarre memorial we had ever seen. We both thought it was very cool to see the tribute to the women of the Civil War, but aren't quite sure of the story behind the pyramid shape. You can see it from almost anyone in the cemetery, which may have been part of the plan.

I served my mission in the South. In my last area, the high school mascot were the Rebels. I thought it was really cool to see the Confederate flag next to the marker. There were a lot of them. Whether you believe in the battle fought or not, the Southerns states as a whole are extremely proud of their heritage.

Jefferson Davis's grave. In case you don't remember, he was the President of the Southern States. His
grave site was probably one of the best kept places in the cemetery, although there really weren't any that were in huge need of maintenance.

I don't know who this
Pax person is, but the angel was too pretty to pass up.

The grave of President John Tyler, the tenth President of the United State. Following William Henry Harrison's death of pneumonia, Tyler was the first Vice President to
take office because of the death of a president.

Close up of his bust.

President James Monroe, the fifth President of the United States. He was the fourth Virginian to become president (there were eight total at this point) and last of the revolutionary patriots to be elected. He was in responsible for the Monroe Doctrine (imagine that) which told the Europeans to keep out of the Americas.

Information about President Monroe.

We then went to a street very appropriately named Monument Boulevard. There were many, many monuments on this street. These two were my favorites. This one was the tribute to Jefferson Davis.

And of Stonewall Jackson. I remember his name from history classes, but truly don't remember what he did to get his fame.

Still Stonewall Jackson. I just really love how the sunlight reflected and this picture was created.
Website: hollywoodcemetery.org
No comments:
Post a Comment